You may have heard your grandmothers, moms, friends, or other relatives advise you about what to do and what not to do during menstruation. Some of these are only myths, like not to apply oil, not to take a hair bath, or avoid strenuous exercise. However, none of these are supported by evidence; there’s no indication that any of them will be detrimental to menstruation.
So, dear readers, don’t follow something irrationally that is untrue or based on false information. Therefore, exercising or running during menstruation is a magical potion. However, you must also check to determine if your body can handle the running and doing workouts. If you feel comfortable running and doing a gentle workout, go ahead and do it. Do not pay attention to what people say since they are simply skeptical of everything that they do not understand.
Running can relieve cramps during your period like a miracle medicine. According to a study in the journal, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, running and exercise can significantly reduce uncomfortable period cramps. The study also showed that yoga, when practiced for 45 to 60 minutes three times per week during periods, is quite effective.
So how can running during periods help relieve cramps? Find out.
1. Assists in easing the tension in your pelvic muscles.
A sedentary lifestyle causes your muscles to stiffen. Additionally, muscle stiffness makes you feel uneasy and also causes cramps during menstruation, with severe body aches and intensified leg pain. You can relieve all of this stiffness and incredibly uncomfortable cramps by running. Additionally, the muscles in and around your abdomen will not contract as much. Running will also maintain the blood flow under control, which will reduce pain. Then why wait? Just keep running.
2. Make you feel vibrant and energized.
Women frequently lament feeling down and tired during menstruation. Because of all the physical discomforts and mental changes, they just want to lie down. Running will help you feel more energized and less tired, and it can also help you manage PMS symptoms. The reason for this sensation is that your body’s oxygen level has increased, which recharges your energy and leaves you feeling fantastic even during periods.
3. Manages mood swings.
Women and girls always feel irritable, and their moods are constantly changing. The physical aches, cramps, and discomfort experienced during menstruation are to blame for this mood change. However, when you exercise, your body releases endorphins, which are happy or mood-enhancing substances that will make you feel good.
It is also true that endorphins have analgesic properties. As a result, you won’t have to use any harmful substances to heal your suffering. Running for even a short time may make you feel great and improve your attitude. Therefore, the easiest technique to deal with mood swings is to go running for at least 15 minutes and see the difference.
4. Assists you in dealing with premenstrual syndrome.
When a woman is menstruating, she has a variety of difficulties, including PMS symptoms such as body pains, back pain, and headaches, all of which are caused by a hormonal imbalance. However, when you run for 14 to 20 minutes, endorphins are created, which are responsible for keeping you feeling happy, so running will assist in keeping all of this in balance.
Here are some straightforward suggestions to make running easier if you want to manage your PMS symptoms:
- Drink a lot of water: You ought to stay hydrated to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance in your body. You run the risk of cramping if you don’t drink enough water.
- Stretch: Stretching is highly important before and after jogging.
- Use the best quality pads: Pick the greatest product and maintain your personal hygiene. For example, when selecting a pad, make sure they are of the highest caliber because jogging may lead to chaffing and rashes. Using tampons or a menstrual cup while jogging is an additional alternative.
- Don’t attempt to push yourself too hard: Keep in mind that you are on a period, so don’t push yourself too hard. Instead, stay within your boundaries to prevent more issues. So when running, maintain an average speed.
- Consume a healthy diet: Eating the healthiest food possible may be ideal. Avoid drinking and smoking.
Women must recognize that being healthy and fit is their number one priority. When you are on your period, you should do whatever suits your body. People will warn you not to run because it will interfere with your periods, but don’t worry about it. Running will not interfere with your periods, but it will assist you in overcoming all of the period’s difficulties and aches. So maintain running even throughout your periods to be healthy and fit.
Read also – 10 Reasons why Books Are Our Best Friends