Self-care, as the term suggests itself, means taking care of oneself. It includes everything we can do to take care of our physical, mental, emotional, intellectual and spiritual health. In this fast-paced society, we forget to take care of ourselves, due to which we often feel anxious, tired, depressed, and face various health issues. We should never forget that our real work in this world is aligned with our personality and purpose in life. And for that, we should never be afraid to prioritise ourselves.
Benefits Of Self-Care
- It will help you achieve mindfulness and self-awareness.
- It will help you in having a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
- You will feel more focused and it will reduce brain fogging.
- You will become more productive and organized in life.
- Taking care of yourself is one of the best ways to feel less anxious and stressed.
Ways To Take Care Of Yourself
1. Physical Self-Care
People these days are facing many health issues like diabetes, obesity, PCOD, PCOS etc. Hence, it is essential to take care of your physical health.
- Exercise regularly
- Have a proper routine
- Good sleep
- Eat healthy
- Drink enough water.
- Get a massage.
- Take regular baths.
2. Emotional Self-Care
In our busy lives, we often feel emotionally drained, due to which many people feel anxious, stressed and depressed. One can take these steps for their emotional health –
- Stay away from negativity.
- Surround yourself with good people.
- Have some quiet time.
- Setting more boundaries.
- Walk in nature
- Pursue your hobbies.
3. Sensory Self-Care
To feel calmer and present, it is vital to take care of your senses- sight, smell, touch, sound and taste.
- Avoid using phones one hour before and after waking up.
- Use scented candles and essentials oils.
- Hot water baths
- Walk barefoot on grass
- Listen to soothing music and podcasts.
4. Spiritual Self-Care
One should take care of their spiritual health too. It integrates with other dimensions of human health. It gives meaning to your life and will help you to stay more grounded. Some ways are-
- Practice Grounding
- Donating in charity and helping others.
- Be close to nature and animals.
5. Intellectual Self-Care
You can nourish your brain and expand your knowledge by-
- Reading books
- Listening to podcasts and talks.
- Try out new things
- Take up different learning courses
6. Social Self-Care
As human beings, it’s imperative to interact with other people and have valuable conversations. Hence one can practice social self-care too by spending time with friends. You can do this either through social media and messaging platforms or by meeting them to do fun things that make you feel good!
7. Professional Self-Care
Self-care related to your work life is known as professional self-care. It is essential to have a healthy work-life balance too. Not only it will make you feel more productive, but it will also reduce work stress.
- Keep track of your assignments and projects.
- It’s good to keep your work time and personal time separate.
- Use of health insurance and other benefits.
- Practice mindfulness and sleep timely.
8. Financial Self-Care
Financial self-care is also essential as financial worries can cause anxiety and stress. It’s good to keep track of your savings, investments and expenditure.
- Listen to money podcasts.
- Invests your money.
- Keep a track of your expenses.
- Do an insurance check at least once a year.
- Make budgets which will help you to achieve both short term and long-term goals.
- Pay your debts.
9. Environmental Self-Care
Our surroundings play a significant role in determining our mental health and productivity, which is why one should practice environmental self-care. These are few tips to do that-
- Organize your space properly.
- Try to keep your surroundings clean.
- Make your space cozy.
- Do sunset yoga.
- Visit your Favorite café.
It’s high time we realise that it’s not selfish to fill your cup first so that you can fill the cup of others too. Self-care is not a luxury; it’s essential for everyone. It will help you to be more active and productive in your life.